|Home | Case Studies | People | Get in Touch ||
-> York House Cascade
Situated in the grounds of York House, Twickenham, the cascade was installed in 1906 by Sir Ratan Tata who was the current owner of the property. After his death the house was purchased by the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames in 1924 but the Cascade and statues remained in private ownership until the late 1940's when they too were gifted to the Borough. The marble statues of the cascade are Italian but the original sculptor has never been definitively attributed.
The remarkable sculptures forming the focus of this outstanding cascade portray Venus riding a pair of Hippocampus surrounded by seven white marble nymphs. The cascade itself is constructed from natural ironstone blocks with marble edging to the main tiers and Sienna marble sea shells. There is a concealed pump house beneath the construction housing equipment to circulate the water.
Previously conserved in 1988 the Cascade required further works in 2007 consisting of cleaning; pointing; "dentistry" repairs and fillings to cracks and water traps; reattaching of retained fragments broken from the sculptures; carving and replacement of missing parts from the sculptures; adjustment to the edges of the cascade to correct discrepancies in the fall of water; removal and replacement of defective repairs to the stones of the cascade; re-instatement of a collapsed column from the background wall; replacement of a missing ball finial; and painting of the railings across the front of the pond.
|Copyright © 2008 Holden Conservation Ltd. All rights reserved.|
London Office: 6 Warple Mews, Warple Way, London, W3 0RF | Tel: +44 20 8740 1203 | Fax: +44 20 8749 8356
Scottish Office: Dalshangan, Dalry, Castle Douglas, DG7 3SZ | Tel: +44 1644 460233
Web site designed, maintained and hosted by Reaper Enterprises Ltd (www.reaper.com)